Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Tom King Half Marathon 2004

My next race was the Tom King Half Marathon, which was held in March of 2004. AT this point, I had been training for the CMM foraround 5 months, and we had gotten up to 15 or 16 miles on our long runs. I remember the weekend of the Tom King was suppoed to be a 7 mile run according to the training schedule, because we had run 15 miles the weekend before and we alternated long and shorter runs on the weekends when we would train as a group. (we meaning Team in Training) So to do a half marathon was putting alot of stain on my body, but I wanted to see where I was at fitness wise, so I went for it. I remember Georgina saying she had done it the year before and she HATED it. Of course, any run through Shelby Park pretty much always sucks because there is just nothing out there. It's boring, and there is no crowd to cheer you on. My friend Mary Thom calls it"Children of the Corn ". It's a lot like a horror movie out there. I don't remember much about running in the park except for it seemed endless. Valerie ran with me pretty much the whole way, and we started racing right about the time we saw the Coliseum. (The coolest part of the race is finishing at the 50 yard line on the field there.) I finished in 2:38:16,(Coulda, shoulda, woulda done better) and Val finished in 2:38:15. Doug and the Boys were waiting for me at the finish line which was cool, but then Doug disappeared because he thought I drove, but I rode up there with Valerie and she had already left, so I got stranded. I had to wait around for almost 2 hours before he answered his phone to come back and get me. Men!

No comments: